By Tyler Durden
Despite a June ceasefire technically being in effect, new weekend Israeli attacks on southern Lebanon mark the deadliest escalation since fighting largely came to a halt earlier this year.
The Saturday attack saw eleven Lebanese killed - among them three children - and 19 injured after Israeli warplanes bombed several areas. It's by far the biggest mass casualty event since the ceasefire took effect, also in terms of extent of destruction.
"Israeli warplanes bombed a home on the outskirts of the village of Ansar, killing seven people and flattening the building early on Saturday morning, The Guardian reported. "Rescue services were working at the site to try to find survivors and locate bodies."
"Another airstrike hours later on a home in the town of Deir al-Zahrani killed two, wounded nine and covered the streets in rubble and smoke," the report continued to detail. "An Israeli drone also targeted a motorcycle in the nearby city of Nabatieh, but it was unclear if the driver was killed."
And additionally there was a rare Saturday statement (on the Jewish Sabbath) from Prime Minister Netanyahu's office: it said "Hezbollah violated the ceasefire in Lebanon by attacking our soldiers in the security zone, which protects Israeli communities just across the border."
"The IDF responded by striking the Hezbollah terror headquarters which ordered the attack," the PM's office said. "Only later did the IDF learn that Hezbollah deliberately put civilians in that military compound," the statement added.
