"By way of deception, thou shalt do war." -- Motto of the Mossad

AdSupply

Thanks for your support!

 

stories

by Dave De Camp, antiwar.com

The strikes killed more than 30 members of the Emergency Forces, which was recently formed by Saudi Arabia

Yemen’s Ansar Allah, also known as the Houthis, launched significant strikes on Thursday targeting military camps in central Yemen belonging to the Emergency Forces, an anti-Houthi force recently created by Saudi Arabia that operates under the command of the Saudi military.

A military source within the Saudi-backed Yemeni government, whose leadership is based in Riyadh, told China’s Xinhua news agency that the Ansar Allah attacks targeted camps in the eastern Hadhramaut and Marib provinces and that at least 35 fighters were killed.

According to the Defense Line, a Yemeni military analysis site, the Emergency Forces adopted the name last year and consist of 35,000 fighters, mostly Salafis from northern Yemeni provinces, and they operate directly under the command of the Saudi Joint Forces.

In a statement on the attack, Ansar Allah described the Emergency Force camps as “Saudi enemy troops concentrations” and said that forces were being built up for an escalation against the “liberated provinces,” referring to Ansar Allah-controlled Yemen, which is where the majority of Yemenis live. The statement claimed that hundreds of “Saudi mercenaries” were killed and injured by the attacks.

Ansar Allah also targeted the Najran Airport in southern Saudi Arabia this week, which reportedly took out a radar and suspended services at the facility. According to a report from Bloomberg, Saudi Arabia has been pursuing diplomacy to contain the conflict in Yemen, which reignited after a four-year ceasefire due to the strikes on the Sanaa airport, but Riyadh is also preparing for a major military escalation, which could include a ground offensive, if diplomacy fails.

The Bloomberg report said that the US was advising against major military retaliation in response to the Ansar Allah blockade on Saudi ports over concerns that it could lead to the complete closure of the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, but President Trump did give Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman the green light to escalate against the Houthis before the strikes on the Sanaa airport. Saudi Arabia’s military is highly reliant on US support, meaning MbS will want US backing before any further escalation.

Claire's Observations:  Do we call it a world war yet?!?